Travel documents

You will always need a valid ID or passport when you travel abroad. In some cases, you also need other travel documents, such as a visa. You are advised to find out well in advance what is needed.

Please note! A driver’s licence is not acceptable as a valid travel documents at passport control.

More information about passport and ID card can be found on the government website.

Passport control at the airport
A large number of European countries have reached agreements to make travel across borders easier. Are you flying to a country within the Schengen area? If so, you don’t have to pass through passport control at the airport. See the updated list of Schengen countries.

If you travel to a non-Schengen country from our airport, you always have to pass through passport control. If you arrive in the Netherlands from a non-Schengen country, your passport has to be checked as well. Passport control at our airport is carried out by the Koninklijke Marechaussee (Royal Constabulary).

Passport lost or stolen?
In exceptional cases you can request an emergency passport from the Koninklijke Marechaussee at Rotterdam The Hague Airport. This is only possible if you meet a number of conditions.
For more information about the emergency passport, you can also go to the service and information centre of the Koninklijke Marechaussee. The service and information centre is located right next to the entrance of the airport building. The Koninklijke Marechaussee can also be reached on telephone number 0800-1814.

Please note!  A driver’s license is not accepted as a valid travel document at passport control.

Exceptional requirements for travel documents and vaccinations
In some countries, additional requirements may apply in addition to a valid passport or ID. A visa and a vaccination certificate are sometimes required. In addition, certain countries outside the European Union (EU) may require that your travel document still has a specific period of validity, for example 6 months. This applies both to your journey from the Netherlands to that country and to your return journey to the Netherlands. To find out more about these requirements, please contact the travel agency or embassy of the country you are travelling to.